Celestial navigation

Currently the newest simulator version. You can use this forum to share bugs or your ideas for the development.

Please support the development work, buy Vehicle Simulator or Virtual Sailor NG. Do not use or create piracy versions!
Fullahead

Celestial navigation

Post by Fullahead »

Hi Folks,

I was wondering if the celestial bodies in virtual sailor NG are accurate enough for celestial navigation? I'm interested in trying some coastal routes using Alex Beauts fantastic scenery and ships which are set in early 1900s so I was thinking of trying out the OpenCPN celestial navigation almanac plugin to avoid using the GPS for navigation. I'm still learning how celestial nav works so I was wondering if it's possible in the simulator.

Thanks for your help!
Pilot_76

Re: Celestial navigation

Post by Pilot_76 »

I did a side-by-side comparison with stellarium and it seems that it is ok. But I will test it further. I also have created a python code using chatgpt that retrieves your position from a situation file and then it loads stellarium automatically and on top of that there is a config.ini file change that removes the coordinates so you won't know where you are in stellarium.