RPM delay, tides and current.

Currently the newest simulator version. You can use this forum to share bugs or your ideas for the development.

Please support the development work, buy Vehicle Simulator or Virtual Sailor NG. Do not use or create piracy versions!
Fullahead

RPM delay, tides and current.

Post by Fullahead »

Hi everyone,

I am a massive fan of Virtual Sailor NG and I from experience of working on real boats I do believe it is the most advanced and accurate nautical simulator out there at the moment.

I have many suggestions as I'm sure everyone else does so I have narrowed it down to the two I feel are most important improving the realism of ship handling:

1. Im sure you are all aware of this anyway but on smaller vessels engine rpm normally changes relatively fast when the throttle is adjusted which matches what currently occurs in the simulator. However large vessels with larger engines and flywheels etc will take much much longer to rev up or down meaning the pilot has to think ahead of what they wish the ship to do. Would it be possible to add something into the vehicle design elements which allows the creator to adjust the speed in which the engine revs up and down? I feel this would massively improve the realism of larger vessels especially as this simulator has a large community of people operating larger ships.

2. As many of you may know who played the original virtual sailor; this simulator is the pioneer of simulating current which influences ship handling massively and yet most other ship simulators completely ignored it. As we also have automatic water levels it would be amazing to have an option where the current can be linked in with this. This means that their could be an option to turn on automatic control of the set and drift of the currents when outside of tidal harbours which is linked into either an ebb or flood tide. Maybe it's possible to use tide almanacs and tide tables to obtain the data for ebb and flood tides and also whether the tide is a spring or neap tide? It would be fantastic to have the current follow the direction if rivers and tidal harbours to simulate tides. These features have not been done before in any nautical simulator and would put virtual sailor even further ahead than it already it.

Thanks for your time,

Fullahead
rakom

Re: RPM delay, tides and current.

Post by rakom »

Hi!
Regarding the first topic, it seems to me that it is the purpose of the function "performance" which makes it possible to customize the efficiency corresponding to the throttle level and consequently to profile the response time to the throttle command. See the release note of version 9.7

Cheers!
diegodiego

Re: RPM delay, tides and current.

Post by diegodiego »

I checked this feature, it's pretty cool and another development in the right direction, but it doesn't affect the response time for RPM, just the thrust at different RPM.

Im a professional pilot, and I agree that does get in the way of realism. One should be able to introduce delay to both RPM and rudder commands, it would greatly improve realism.

Im some vessels, rudder changes from, say, hard-a-starboard to hard-a-port can take something like almost 30 seconds, while from full ahead to full astern it may take several minutes on larger vessels.

The changes are not linear in most vessels, with the RPM response occuring much faster for lower RPM, whilst the increase in RPM for higher RPM can take a long time. But even a simple linear change would greatly improve realism. You should be able to, say, enter the number os seconds it takes to go from 0 to full RPM/rudder angle, and the simulator then change both accordingly.