Bumper collision and Rope tension

Currently the newest simulator version. You can use this forum to share bugs or your ideas for the development.

Please support the development work, buy Vehicle Simulator or Virtual Sailor NG. Do not use or create piracy versions!
Gio_avi

Bumper collision and Rope tension

Post by Gio_avi »

Hi Everyone!!

I have many of the vessels while touching the dock, bouncing back aggressively, even some rolling over on the side of the dock. Rope tension also seams to be extreme and with one ''click'' will drag a big ship violently. In general it seam that vessels are behaving much ''lighter'' than should for there mass.

Regarding Bumpers I can see there are few commands, yet I haven't figure out how exactly that will solve this unrealistic behaviour.

[full_bumper] - collision with all objects or just vehicles (1 or 0)
[max_thrust] - maximum reaction force allowed (new)
[max_land] - maximum penetration depth allowed (m)

haven't seen anything about lines tension.
Any thoughts?

Kind Regards
Sailorjohn

Re: Bumper collision and Rope tension

Post by Sailorjohn »

I agree that maneuvering alongside piers is still overly sensitive to bumping and line tension, and I've frequently messed up what seemed like a perfect mooring while simply adjusting lines. Wish it weren't so. You're certainly on the right track by adjusting bumpers, and making sure no points exceed the actual vessel footprint, NOT including flagpoles, booms, etc which would not cause violent rebounding on a real vessel. They'd simply get pushed aside or broken. As a 1/c cadet aboard the 295' barque Eagle, I remember mooring in Leith Docks at Edinburgh, Scotland in 1962. 'Twas a tight squeeze through the locks, so the officers carefully considered the ship's beam and calculated we'd make it through with a meter or so to spare. Unfortunately no one remembered the folding outriggers for the sheet blocks, port and starboard...about a meter each side. They folded the hard way. :roll: :oops: Too bad the sim can't simulate the loud scrape, dust and smoke from a sloppy mooring, without the violent recoil.

As far as line tension is concerned, the towline stretches and contracts quite realistically in NG; wish the mooring lines did the same.
Northfeeder

Post by Northfeeder »

Gio_avi wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 1:10 pm ... many of the vessels while touching the dock, bouncing back aggressively, even some rolling over on the side of the dock.
hi,

you could try to adjust the values for kt and kd for each "point" in the elements. I fixed several vessels that way. If you set the value to 0 the boat will not bounce back at all. (But backup your elements.cfg first since it easy to mess it up :D )

example:

>>>
point [element]
0 [kt]
0 [kd]
<<<
Gio_avi

Post by Gio_avi »

Excellent!

I was sure there was a parameter hidden in there. :D

Thanks for sharing!!