Minstrel Release - Payware

Have any old VSF add-on releases? Feel free to put them in here.

Re: Minstrel Release - Payware

Postby Sailorjohn » Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:39 pm

Sharpy wrote:Thanks SJ.
And yes Farley Mowatt and The Boat That Wouldn't float is Absolutely Classic!!
And was on my boat.

SJ actually got a shot of the 'missing' Books. Strangely moving across the salon. And Just after Farley's passing,

Too Funny. Or is it too soon. ;)

Not too soon, Steve...just in time for Halloween!
Sailorjohn

Preferred Sim: Vehicle Simulator

Postby LHookins » Wed May 31, 2017 1:58 pm

There is something a little magical about this boat.

I'd already bought a couple of other boats from Graphic Park, the Meteor and the Skylge, and they were quite excellent. I kept looking at the Minstrel on the store page but passing it by because I didn't see any compelling reason to try it. Then I read this thread and bought the boat immediately. I'm glad I did.

May I recommend that you mention the 1347 parts and quote Sailorjohn's post from "Minstrel_VSF represents the pinnacle of 3D modeling" on the store page for the boat? If I'd seen that on the store page I would have bought the boat a lot sooner and it may have been my first purchase.

What is magical about this boat is that it's the first time I've felt like I owned an actual boat in VSF. Other good boats feel like borrowing a friend's car: you get to drive it, but it's not actually yours. The Minstrel is different. Other lesser boats feel like you're playing sailboats with cardboard boxes. This is not a criticism, as playing sailboat is fun. :) But the Minstrel is a real boat. Thanks for making it.

I wouldn't usually resurrect a thread this old, but I thought this was pertinent, and anyone who hasn't seen this thread yet should read it.

I'm writing a review of this boat and others to post on the Steam VSF forums.

Oh yes, I found a copy of "The Boat Who Wouldn't Float" and read it, based on the recommendations in this thread. Thanks, guys!

Hook
LHookins

Postby Sharpy » Wed May 31, 2017 10:55 pm

Wow, Hook.
I so glad you are enjoying her.
My goal was to really try to make her pretty much as she was when I sold her. After all she was my home for 6 1/2 years.

Thanks for such a glowing review.!!

Steve
Sharpy

Preferred Sim: Virtual Sailor

Postby Sailorjohn » Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:37 am

...kudoes to you both, Hook and Steve...for the excellent modeling, and the astute perception of greatness. ;) The boat and the book! :)
Sailorjohn

Postby LHookins » Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:34 am

Thanks guys! Here's a link to my Steam review thread: http://steamcommunity.com/app/416190/di ... 707335914/ if you're interested. Comments there might help sell a couple of copies, although the Steam version of VSF never had more than 13 people playing at one time.

I'm going to guess that you two have made the boat's sailing characteristics as accurate as possible. The boat heels more than I'm used to, even downwind; is this correct behavior? Everything else just feels right.

Hook
LHookins

Postby Sharpy » Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:15 pm

Aloha.
Thanks for the writeups.

So I have been sailing her again. And I noticed a flaw...

The blue stripe at the waterline does not continue to the stern.

The FIX...

Here's a link to the new vehicle.x file.
Just Download and unzip it to Minstrel_VSF in Vehicle Simulator.

http://www.graphic-park.com/VS_WIP/The%20Shop/Minstrel/MINSTREL_FIX.zip

I can't believe that I missed that error.

Steve
Sharpy

Postby Sailorjohn » Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:42 am

Steve, you did such a fantastic realistic modeling job on her, I figured some boottop paint or tape was missing aft...and there she is, warts and all! Just 'weathering', like the rust, worn teak, etc. ;)

How do you feel about Hook's comments on her heeling? She feels about as I imagine she would...quite similar to my old "Evenstar", 42' LOD wood Atkin ketch...54' LOA. But we can stiffen her up if you feel she's too tender.
Sailorjohn

Postby Sharpy » Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:01 am

Hey SJ.!!
Nope just a flaw that I never noticed before.
The Stripe helps define the aft hull shape even more.

I was checking out her handling in various wind conditions.
She's pretty close to reality.

Although in some instances her top speed is way to high.

Overall I'm still quite happy with her.
And thanks for your elements file. Again!!

Steve
Sharpy

Postby Sailorjohn » Sat Jun 03, 2017 2:10 am

Yeah, the speed issue.

VSF is hard-wired so that when a vessel exceeds hullspeed (1.34 x square root of waterline length in feet = Knots), it slowly and inevitably increases to planing speed. I've mentioned to Ilan that it takes vastly increased power to get over the 'hump' between natural hull speed and planing speed, and only a hull designed to plane (ie, with flattened underbody) can actually sustain planing. Our ketches could indeed 'surf' downswell on a reach and exceed hullspeed, but not sustain it. When you exceed hullspeed you begin to fall into the 'hole'...that is, the stern begins to 'squat' while the bow rises...and you're literally going 'uphill'. Resistance increases dramatically, requiring greater power...like a big truck climbing a grade. Only when you reach 2 to 2 1/2 times square root of waterline length (ft) in knots does the drag begin to diminish as the hull achieves sustainable plane, lifts and levels off. Not an easy transition. Our liveaboard MY displaces over 21 tons...and it takes 860 total hp from our twin Cummins turbo diesels to get us 'over the hump' onto plane. Hullspeed is about 8.5 kts...transition to plane is around 14 kts...max about 23 kts. Takes full power to climb onto plane, but then you can throttle way back and remain 'on top'.
Sailorjohn

Postby LHookins » Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:26 pm

Steve, you don't by any chance have a video anywhere of you sailing her, do you? I wouldn't mind a good sailing tutorial using this boat, and see how you do it.

Hook
LHookins

PreviousNext

Return to VSF Releases