Virtual Sailor NG 9.9.6 is here

When a new version of VS:NG is released, it's release notes can be found here.
admin
Site Admin

Virtual Sailor NG 9.9.6 is here

Post by admin »

Hi Everyone,

Today I have release the update to version 9.9.6 of Virtual Sailor NG.
In this version the following changes were made:
  • Added wave length control for waves options, this allows setting of longer waves, similar to swells, and overall control over sea roughness.
  • Docking dialog has two modes, anchoring and docking, use the Docking or Anchoring buttons in the Dock dialog.
  • Added viscosity setting for ships, this will slow the ship down after thrusters have been applied, set in Options -> Graphics.
  • Auto zoom turned off for F5 view, now you can control the zoom using mouse wheel.
  • Fixed overlapping text on main screen.
  • Added dgruddr, dgturn instruments, these show rudder angle and rate of turn in digital form.
  • Added rudder delay in vehicle.cfg [controls_delay], this is also set by default in Options->Graphics.
  • Controls_delay set by ship size unless appears in vehicle.cfg.
I hope you enjoy these changes and support this development by buying the program.

Thanks,

Ilan
AlbinoKiwi

Re: Virtual Sailor NG 9.9.6 is here

Post by AlbinoKiwi »

Hi
Since updating my sim, I've noticed a 'wobble' with the autopilot when using time compression.
In previous versions of VS:NG I could use >300x time compression with no problems (except I need to reduce the simrate a bit when I get close to a waypoint). Now when I use time compression, the ship takes a slalom course.
ekeimaja

Post by ekeimaja »

AlbinoKiwi wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 4:56 pm Hi
Since updating my sim, I've noticed a 'wobble' with the autopilot when using time compression.
In previous versions of VS:NG I could use >300x time compression with no problems (except I need to reduce the simrate a bit when I get close to a waypoint). Now when I use time compression, the ship takes a slalom course.
This is completely normal behavior. Actually no any ship ever goes straight ahead. But you can affect to it by reducing autopilot gain slider.
VS sailor since 2008
Blue Star Line

Post by Blue Star Line »

These updates are looking good, Thank you
Blue Star Line on Youtube. Over 100,000 Subscribers, making videos with Virtual Sailor & Vehicle Simulator
rakom

Post by rakom »

Long-awaited and well-received updates.
Thank you!
Blue Star Line

Post by Blue Star Line »

Will we see these updateds added to the Steam version? Now all we need is a performance fix for the VSNG
Blue Star Line on Youtube. Over 100,000 Subscribers, making videos with Virtual Sailor & Vehicle Simulator
ekeimaja

Post by ekeimaja »

Blue Star Line wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 5:34 pm Will we see these updateds added to the Steam version? Now all we need is a performance fix for the VSNG
Sadly only possible way to increase performance is to use the latest version of DirectX library, which is version number 12 and VSNG still uses the old version 9 of it, which was released back in 2009. Probably because version 9 is still supported in Windows 10 and also reaches to Windows XP so users with older computers can use VS too.

AFAIK changing to latest DirectX version would require rewriting if not whole but most of the software.
And IF Ilan will make rewriting, at the latest when DirectX version 9 reaches its end-of-life, I would concider doing the rewriting using OpenGL or Vulkan, so VSNG would not be native Windows-only anymore.
VS sailor since 2008
Blue Star Line

Post by Blue Star Line »

The thing is, I would get 180 FPS in VSF with a ship and now I'm not even getting 20 FPs with the same model in VSNG.

I would love to see Ilan rewrite the program in either a newer version of Direct X, Vulkan, or even use something like Unreal engine would be awesome. It has so much potential. There are several people who could help Ilan make this move, and I believe it would be a great way to attract new players if it was more up-to-date and had a UI refresh worthy of the simulator. Really hope Ilan is considering this!
RobNeath

Post by RobNeath »

Thanks for the update Ilan,

The only issue I have with it is after updating the docking panels it has seemed to have removed the animation buttons too. Unless this is now a separate option? It made it such as ease of use when added to that panel to control multiple animations which most newer ships now have.

As for performance, ekeimaja is correct. I spoke to Ilan about DX12 and he said to use that would mean rebuilding everything from scratch. This coupled with most users will have to relearn on how to add their own creations to the game it could take years for it to reach to the level that VSF/VSNG has. I think IF he was to rebuilt VSNG we would be looking at a 2 year minimum wait, I don't know about some of you guys but VSNG will long be in my wake by then.
I for example don't intend on putting any of my work in other simulators, I would of done that with MSFS if it was on my radar.

The main thing putting him off from it is not a lot of people are buying VSNG and people tend to use cracked versions of the game or even share keys around.

Have you got a spare Computer/laptop Blue Star Line? Just so you can experiment with VSNG on that, just to see what the FPS are like? Even if it's just a family/friend.
AS I have a friend who has a lower range laptop than my PC and his fps are higher than me (even though mine are always stable now around 30-60fps).
VSF/VSNG Ship and Scenery Creator
Downloads can be found via: https://robsvsfaddons.weebly.com/

From the Caribbean to Norway, to small UK ferries to the largest cruise liners in the world.
Blue Star Line

Post by Blue Star Line »

Hey, Robert.

Yes, I have tested it on two other machines and got similar results. Really hoping Ilan can get in touch and we can troubleshoot this.
Axeonalias

Post by Axeonalias »

Hi Ilan,

Im currently scratching and searching all over the show to find out if the new VSNG has PBR materials support, does anyone know if its implemented yet?
Many current WIP projects from myself and the team : https://discord.gg/Ber44PKm