Modeling Real-World Ferry Services and Beyond

Currently the newest simulator version. You can use this forum to share bugs or your ideas for the development.

Please support the development work, buy Vehicle Simulator or Virtual Sailor NG. Do not use or create piracy versions!
codetrucker

Modeling Real-World Ferry Services and Beyond

Post by codetrucker »

Hello,
------------------------------------------
[Internal Notes]
GOOGLE EARTH PIN COLOR KEY
  • Yellow = Undefined
  • Red = Location Not Available
  • Pink = Has Dock (No Scenery)
  • Green = Basic Scenery
  • Blue = Has Complex Scenery
  • Cyan = Complete
------------------------------------------

I intend to set up a real-world itinerary-driven Virtual Ferry Service (VFS) to be enjoyed with Virtual Sailor NG (VSNG). This will be primarily for my own enjoyment, but it will be made available to anyone who likes the idea.

The plan is to bring it to fruition in organic “phases.” Here is what I perceive the flow of this project will look like….
  • Phase 1 - Collect a list of all ports/docks available by name in VSNG. If these are somehow coded on the map, any help making the correlations clear would be appreciated.
    (STATUS: COMPLETE - 241 Real-world docks identified between Gibraltar and the Black Sea in Google Earth.)
  • Phase 2 - Add to the list the real-world ports/docks that are not included in VSNG.
    STATUS: WORKING - 37 of 241 investigated. 30 of those 37 are not available in VSNG yet but will be created over time as well as any others.
  • Phase 3 - Match the refined list of ports/docks derived in Phase 2 to real-world schedules and itineraries posted on real-world ferry websites.
  • Phase 4 - Set up manual reporting (spreadsheet) of schedules completed. At first, this would only include a simple “From-To” record with a place for comments on the voyage. Later on, there may be grading, statistics, etc. It would all depend on the organic, natural path of the project.
  • Phase 5a - Expand the project to allow for multiplayer participation, like in a Virtual Airlines (VA), if there is any genuine interest. This is only to make this expansion available as a goodwill gesture. I will enjoy my participation with or without multiplayer.
  • Phase 5b - If multiplayer comes to birth, it might allow someone to fill the place of a dispatcher. Time will tell.
  • Phase 6 - Automate the record-keeping and statistical analysis. Honestly, this phase would take quite a while as it would require me to learn Perl, PHP, etc., to build the webpage, server-side backend programming, etc., to make this a reality.
  • Phase 7 - Grow the “ferry” idea outside of only using ferry vessels and schedules to include potential large-scale passenger and cargo shipping. This could happen earlier in the “Phases” as the working interest flows.

That’s it for now. We start with “Phase 1.”
Please reply with any ideas and/or comments which could be helpful to this project, especially any identifying of ports/docks included in VSNG.

Also, please post back if there is interest in seeing this ported to Vehicle Simulator.

Thank you for taking the time to read about my project, and remember, the sea is not a mean thing. It is only terribly unforgiving of poor judgment, oversight, and lack of astute planning.

Take care.
Last edited by codetrucker on Thu Dec 29, 2022 4:52 pm, edited 9 times in total.
codetrucker

Re: Modeling Real-World Ferry Services and Beyond

Post by codetrucker »

Please note: if anyone can translate my project above from English to Greek, French, Italian, German, etc. please feel free to do a translation which will allow non-English speaking “sailors” to participate.

Take care.
RobNeath

Post by RobNeath »

Hi there!

I like the idea of this Virtual Ferry Service. Many years ago when I VSF (Vehicle Simulator) wasn't that old I started Condor Ferries Virtual which followed the real world Condor Ferries on their routes from the UK to the Channel Islands and France.

This particular ferry company would be an idea starting point for Virtual Sailor NG purely because all of the main ships are available for VSNG (and VSF) - via my website: https://robsvsfaddons.weebly.com/ferries.html Along with ALL of the ports they visit. https://robsvsfaddons.weebly.com/uk-ire ... rance.html

A similar Story can be said for Red Funnel who operate between the Isle of Wight and Southampton. Britanny Ferries, Fred. Olsen Express and ARMAS could also be done as the Majority of the ports and ships are available.

For a few years I wanted to start P&O Cruises Virtual which would follow the real cruise line with their ships (as again all exist for the game), and even seeing if I could form a Charter "contract" with one of the Virtual Airlines (more than likely FlyUK) to offer charter flights to/from Barbados, Antigua, Tenerife and Malta for the cruise passengers much like the real world Virgin Atlantic and TUI UK do.
But that never really properly grew. Maybe one day I will look into that again.

Looking forward to see what comes from this,

Best of Luck

Robert
VSF/VSNG Ship and Scenery Creator
Downloads can be found via: https://robsvsfaddons.weebly.com/

From the Caribbean to Norway, to small UK ferries to the largest cruise liners in the world.
codetrucker

Post by codetrucker »

Hi Robert,

Thank you for the heads-up. I have never been one to reinvent the wheel, so I will be giving the resources a good looking over.

Take care,
Calvin
codetrucker

Post by codetrucker »

Hi,

I have downloaded all the sceneries and installed them, but I cannot see any physical bouys bouncing on the water. I can see the red, green, ???, etc. lights flashing, but only from dusk to dawn. Am I doing something wrong or have I missed a setting?

Calvin
RobNeath

Post by RobNeath »

Hi Calvin,

Ensure you have downloaded and installed the Common Library which is located in the Required Files section.
https://robsvsfaddons.weebly.com/required-files.html

Along with the IALA Buoyance system A
http://library.hangsim.com/browse.php?n ... e+system+A

Hope this helps you.

Robert
VSF/VSNG Ship and Scenery Creator
Downloads can be found via: https://robsvsfaddons.weebly.com/

From the Caribbean to Norway, to small UK ferries to the largest cruise liners in the world.
codetrucker

Post by codetrucker »

Hi Robert,

It worked! Thanks for the guidance.

Calvin
codetrucker

Post by codetrucker »

PHASE 1 - COMPLETE
Identified 241 destinations in Europe and Mediterranean using http://ferryhopper.com .

On to PHASE 2. Since I do not know what is included in VSNG this will probably take a while. Any help is appreciated.
Fullahead

Post by Fullahead »

Hi Calvin

What a brilliant idea. I would love to be involved if you are looking for people to operate ferries. Hopefully we can get multiplayer working, that's the main issue.

Thanks for your effort in setting this up and I look forward to seeing more development.

Kind regards,

Fullahead