Positive Throttle

Currently the newest simulator version. You can use this forum to share bugs or your ideas for the development.

Please support the development work, buy Vehicle Simulator or Virtual Sailor NG. Do not use or create piracy versions!
malafaia

Positive Throttle

Post by malafaia »

I use a Ship Console from VRI Insight with Virtual Sailor and am having a problem with the throttle control. When my engine control is set to stop on the console, the program is reading it as 50% of forward throttle. I have to set it to full astern on the console so the program reads it as engine stopped.

There is a workaround which is to use the reverse engine control, but it is not intuitive, and definetly ruins the immersion the ship console provides.

There was an option in Vechicle Simulator called "Positive Throttle", in the Vehicle Options. By disabling it, the program would read the engine control correctly, but I could not find this option in Virtual Sailor NG.

Any help would be greatly apreciated.
sam--sine

Re: Positive Throttle

Post by sam--sine »

my i ask you which settings are you use , i have the shipconsole wr insigt, but i can t find an function to the left stick, only the right stick are functionel
the left stick can only be moovved vith the mouse , the only axs there have an fungtion are :
are allesron and the lright stick, when i callibrate the console in windows the right stic are moovement but i can t find this acsel in wirtual sailor ng
adinavtec

Post by adinavtec »

You can configure ship console using this program.

https://heusinkveld.com/download-diview/
malafaia

Post by malafaia »

sam--sine wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 2:16 pm my i ask you which settings are you use , i have the shipconsole wr insigt, but i can t find an function to the left stick, only the right stick are functionel
the left stick can only be moovved vith the mouse , the only axs there have an fungtion are :
are allesron and the lright stick, when i callibrate the console in windows the right stic are moovement but i can t find this acsel in wirtual sailor ng
Same here, cannot assign a function to the left throttle.
smorris

Post by smorris »

I assigned the left throttle to Z Rotation and that worked for me. Getting it to zero on the detents is another matter.
diegodiego

Post by diegodiego »

It's been a long time i posted this. I have checked the recent upgrades, and I see Ilan added a slider2 to the joystick, I now can use both throttle levers on the vri console!! Excellent!

The problem of the deterrent still remains though. It would be great to have a "positive throttle" option like back on vehicle simulator, so that when the lever is on the deterrent, the ship is stopped. Moving it forward starts the engine on ahead, whilst moving it back starts the engine on astern, with no need to press the "shift+e" to go astern.

Especially during close quarter maneuvers, when you are changing between forward and astern throttle, it is east to forget to put the engine on reverse,it can be really annoyng and detracts from the immersion whilst using a console for maneuvring.
rakom

Post by rakom »

I have no ship console. I use the hardware I have for flight simulation, that is:
Alpha Flight Controls [yoke]
Saitek Pro Flight Quadrant [throttle levers]

The configuration:
Capture02.JPG
Capture02.JPG (36.8 KiB) Viewed 9535 times
Capture01.JPG
Capture01.JPG (36.73 KiB) Viewed 9535 times
and it works perfectly with no need to activate any reverse key.
Is there anything you could take away from this specific case? Hope so.

Cheers!
diegodiego

Post by diegodiego »

Thanks for the reply, i will mess around with my settings here to see if i can fix this.

Do you use any third party app to calibrate your controls or just the default windows one? Can you show me a print of the calibration of the slider, if its not too much trouble..
rakom

Post by rakom »

No, these controls are set up within the simulator. I run some tests with these for better understanding.

1/in VSF the option ''Positive Throttle" is ineffective with 2 throttle levers configuration (regardless if the boat has 1 or 2 engines); if a single lever is configured then the option works

2/in both VSF and VSNG, if I run a car or a plane the throttle lever action is automatically limited from iddle to forward power (with 2 throttle levers or a single one)...as if the simulators recognize the nature of the vehicle [for sure they do :)] and instruct the controls accordingly

3/in VS NG, for boats, a single engine configuration implies limited action of the lever, a two engines configuration (whether the boat has 1 or 2 engines) brings full amplitude to the levers from full reverse to full forward.

Does it help? not really :? Sorry :(
diegodiego

Post by diegodiego »

Thanks, man! Life changer!

All I had to do was change the vehicle file "has engine" value from 1 to 2, like you said. I didnt even have to mess around with the number of engines in the elements, just assign the joystick to control the "left engine" (even though it only has one) and it works fine.

The game now recognises the "50%" input from the slider as zero throttle, 100% as full forward throttle and 0% as full astern throttle.

Ill have to mess around with my custom panel to get the right RPM and engine order to show, but to be able to use the throttle properly now, is a massive improvement.

Thanks for your help!
amascola

Post by amascola »

Rakom’s extremely helpful post also works for the Logitech branded Flight Throttle Quadrant. The one thing I can’t figure out however is how to set the dead zones separately for the wheel and the throttle quadrant. If anyone knows how please add to my post here:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=810&p=1844#p1844