NMEA injection to OpenCPN

Currently the newest simulator version. You can use this forum to share bugs or your ideas for the development.

Please support the development work, buy Vehicle Simulator or Virtual Sailor NG. Do not use or create piracy versions!
NisseNudel

NMEA injection to OpenCPN

Post by NisseNudel »

Hi,
Don´t know if I have missed to find any solution to adjust/correct the error in position, between VSNG and OpenCPN?
Have notised that the diff is about 0.5 NM in the length direction of the boat, inside a harber in a scenery.

Any comments on this?

Regards//Nisse
ekeimaja

Re: NMEA injection to OpenCPN

Post by ekeimaja »

Are you sure the error is not in the scenery/object positioning?
VS sailor since 2008
NisseNudel

Post by NisseNudel »

Thank you for comment! You are right!
Using "Baltic Sea West" and "North West Europe" among others and my discrepancy in positions was in Harbor Helsingborg. In Copenhagen, e separate Scenery, the position in VSNG and Open CPN was perfekt matched.
Used to (10 years ago) to create and add my own sceneries, but how to recalibrate this error in positions, I do not know.
Not a big deal, but as I live in Helsingborg, it would have been nice to have it corret.
Regard//Nisse
Gio_avi

Post by Gio_avi »

Hi NisseNudel! I am phasing the same issue with ships position on OpenCPN. :( Have you found any workaround? Maybe adjusting scenery position is possible ??
NisseNudel

Post by NisseNudel »

Hi, I started to look for the the way to calibrate the scenery, but I did not dare to start experimenting !!!
Was hoping for an expert to leave a tip how to do this. I did found that it is the same error in the whole "Baltic Sea". About 0.5 miles in the
harbors. In the open sea and on the routes there seems to be no error.
Would be nice if someone skilled scenery creater could comments.
//Nisse
Pascal

Post by Pascal »

Hello,

in VSF you can select all the objects in a scenery (drag your mouse over all the scenery with the shift key down) : then you can test to move all of them, by clicking on one as they are highlighted in yellow, to adjust all the block in the new position you want (this can be a little tricky but can be done)..

Cheers
Gio_avi

Post by Gio_avi »

Hi Pascal,

That's right, repositioning objects can be a solution. Unfortunately thought is more complicated than that (as always :P ). For example in maps like West Baltic, Kiel has a GPS offset of about 0,2NM, north at Goteborg thought the offset is almost 6,0NM, land placement is also an issue in this case and I'm yet not sure how it can be corrected.
Hopefully the developers will fix that or think about it on there next creations. Using a real plotter like OpenCPN for navigation in game it defiantly takes Virtual Sailor on an other game-simulation level. I personally came back to VS after veeeery long time and I'm so happy to see it evolving! :D