Setting depth

Are you working on a scenery and having problems getting it right? This is where you should ask for help.

Re: Setting depth

Postby itsme » Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:44 pm

danim wrote:the problem that I am having is that the depth of the firth of forth is 40ft but in VS it has the depth at 800m so how would I fix it

It may help both.

Daniel your k_alt is 4.55. 40 ft is about 13 meters. 13/4,55= 2.8.. You use the color #3 of your palette and you are close.
Cheers, Reino.
itsme

Postby itsme » Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:59 pm

Skull Kid wrote:Where to type in #250?

Nowhere. You are supposed to use colour #250 of your palette which you use to create your depth.bmp and "type" 30 as k_alt in your scenery.cfg as Mike has explained. Read the "manual" again.
Cheers, Reino.
itsme

Postby itsme » Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:34 pm

Probably ice :D
Cheers, Reino.
itsme

Postby ron » Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:05 pm

Hi, have a look at this one so you can see how it's implemented.

1) you need a map.bmp that is completely blue, no land.
2) you need a depth.bmp, each next colour on the pallet adds a depth with the value of k_alt in the scenery.cfg.

In this case my k_alt is somewhere near 32.

With the depth.bmp being a 256 colour bitmap, the very first colour on the pallet = land (pallet_ID = 0) , you have 255 colours left to create depth.

So 255 x k_alt = your maximum depth in any scenry.

Here, it's the Pacific somewhere near Mariana Trench.....

http://www.virtual-sailor.nl/Pacific_deep.zip
Cheers,

Ron
ron

Postby Charlotte » Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:49 am

mykaskin wrote:Depth is done in metres. If you had a gray scale like Charlottes then is would be one that looks very black. This is one of the problems with VS for shallow seas and high land. I have a land_alt of 2 on my Humber scenery and so the whole of the Humber looks black on my monitor. I have to create it at brighter settings then reduce it in photoshop back to the correct values.

Cheers,

Mike

The depth.bmp doesn't have to be grey scale though, you can use any colour scheme you want, it's the index# that determines the value. I find that if I want to manually draw specific depths I change that particular index# to a nice bright colour, that way it is easy to see where I am drawing.

depth.jpg
depth.jpg (107.99 KiB) Viewed 3663 times

As you can see here I have 0 as red. This makes for longer slopes from land to sea (like beaches). All the grey is land.

Sorry for getting the k_alt wrong (calling it both land_alt and scenery_alt), I was at work and going from memory. :)
Charlotte
Charlotte
Site Administrator

Preferred Sim: Vehicle Simulator

Postby Charlotte » Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:41 am

I don't think Paint is suitable for this. Try Gimp that Mike posted a link to. It's free.
Charlotte
Charlotte
Site Administrator

Postby Charlotte » Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:39 pm

Are you using Gimp now? I'm not familiar with it, but I'll have a look.
Charlotte
Charlotte
Site Administrator

Postby Charlotte » Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:23 pm

Well I've had a look but it doesn't show the palette in the correct order, the different shades of grey are all over the place and I can't figure out how to get it to show properly.

You can do it in paint too though. Open your depth.bmp in Paint and from the menu select Colors and Edit Colors. Then click on the button where it says Define Custom Colors >>. In the Red Green Blue boxes you can just type in the index values. If your k_alt is 32 (which I tink I saw somewhere) and you want your depth to be 8000, you would be looking at using palette index# 250 (as I think Mike explained). Therefore, type in the 3 boxes (R, G, B) 250 (in all of them) and click OK.

This only works for true grey scale images though so don't try it with any map.bmps :)
Charlotte
Charlotte
Site Administrator

Postby Charlotte » Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:10 pm

If your k_alt is 32, that's the smallest depth you can specify, except for 0.
Charlotte
Charlotte
Site Administrator

Postby saken » Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:34 pm

I am having problems setting the sea depth for a simple "sea scenery". I have created a depth.bmp in Photoshop, saved it as a 1024x1024 image with 8 bit depth to it, but I still get the sea depth at 0 meters, why?
Kind Regards,

saken

Proud Virtual Sailor user since 2005, and Vehicle Simulator user since 2008!
saken

Previous

Return to Scenery Dev Support